Hydro – the aluminium and energy company
Hydro is a leading aluminium and energy company that builds businesses and partnerships for a more sustainable future. We develop industries that matter to people and society.
Since 1905, Hydro has turned natural resources into valuable products for people and businesses, creating a safe and secure workplace for our 30,000 employees in more than 140 locations and 40 countries.
Today, we own and operate various businesses and have investments with a base in sustainable industries. Hydro is present in a broad range of market segments for aluminium and metal recycling, and energy and renewables. We offer a unique wealth of knowledge and competence.
Hydro is committed to leading the way towards a more sustainable future, creating more viable societies by developing natural resources into products and solutions in innovative and efficient ways.For more information please visit the Hydro Website
Hertwich Engineering GmbH, Austria
As a global innovation leader in recycling technology for aluminium scrap and systems in the aluminium industry, quality and innovation is in our DNA. Hertwich Engineering, a company of SMS group, regularly presents new developments and improvements to existing applications and products.
Hertwich Engineering the sole full-range supplier in the field of aluminium casting systems and sustainable recycling technology delivers individually tailored solutions for clients. Starting with charging of scrap to finishing with consistently high quality, homogenized billets, ready for extruding or forging.
The state-of-the-art MELTING TECHNOLOGY developed by Hertwich has revolutionized the industry and convinces customers around the world. Hertwich furnaces stand for
- Remelting of clean and contaminated scrap with paint, plastic and oil
- Internal combustion and energy reclamation of organics – no after burner required!
- Extremely low oxidation losses (metal losses)
- Fully automated charging systems
For many years, Hertwich maintains its market share of 90% worldwide with CONTINIOUS HOMOGENIZING PLANTS for extrusion billet and BATCH HOMOGENIZING PLANTS.
- Reliable, best homogenizing quality, uniform for all billets
- Flexible heat treatment for frequent alloy changes and long homogenizing times
- Newly developed reversed air concept with regulating flaps for extra fast heating, saving some 20-25% heating time.
As leading partner in the world of Aluminium, Hertwich constantly strives to provide even better services and products to make its contribution to environmental protection, conservation of resources and cost efficiency. Visit www.hertwich.com for more information on our products.
ALTEK Ltd, UK
ALTEK is a technology-based company with specialist expertise and experience in the design, manufacture and installation of equipment and systems for the aluminium cast house. Their innovative technologies focus on environmentally friendly, profitable solutions for the Aluminium Industry. Their engineers have a wealth of international experience in developing and refining solutions to dross and scrap recycling and are a unique process-based skill resource for our worldwide customers.
ALTEK aim to provide the best technology and knowledge, to meet customer needs through a deep understanding of their production processes, operation, equipment and operational cost and profitability requirements.
ALTEK embarked on an ambitious project in 2010, culminating to what is now the most efficient, on-site salt slag recovery plant technology available in the industry. AluSalt™ is ALTEK’s economically viable solution to the global issue of salt slag (salt cake) processing and can be set up locally within a company’s curtilage. The benefits this can provide, operationally and financially, are significant and is a welcomed addition to the aluminium industry.For more information please visit the ALTEK Website
HOESCH Metallurgie GmbH, Germany
HOESCH is the leading partner for the aluminum cast house industry worldwide; providing solutions for alloying and melt treatment as well as metallurgical consulting of highest quality. With its great variety of products and services HOESCH is your partner for tailor made solutions including:
- Master Alloys and Grain Refiners
- High concentrated Alloying Additives
- Melt Treatment Fluxes
- Metals & Metal Powders
- Refractory Materials
- Metallurgical Servies incl. metallographic analysis & reporting
Due to HOESCH-own production facilities, representative offices and partners all over the world, operating as a reliable partner in the aluminium industry on five continents, the HOESCH footprint stands for appropriate solutions, customers satisfaction, quality leadership, flexibility and innovation.
For more information please visit the HOESCH Metallurgie GmbH Website
Wagstaff Inc, USA
Custom DC Casting Systems from Wagstaff
Wagstaff Inc. is a 73-year-old industrial manufacturing company that provides customized, advanced aluminium direct-chill solidification technology to rolling ingot and extrusion billet producers worldwide.
- Casting machines
- Mold tables
- Process automation
- Rolling ingot tooling
- Extrusion billet tooling
- Strong alloy capabilities
- Molten metal level control
- Worldwide service and support
Wagstaff has delivered more than 1,200 billet systems, 400 ingot casting systems, 250 ShurCast™ Casting Machines and 350 AutoCast™ Automated Casting Control Systems in 58 countries.
Beyond the hardware delivery, first-class customer service is included with every purchase of genuine Wagstaff casting equipment. From on-site start up and refresher training, to workshops held in convenient locations around the world, we are committed to delivering to the right tools at the right time.
For more information please visit the Wagstaff Inc. Website
Drache Umwelttechnik GmbH, Germany
Since its founding in 1984, Drache offers a wide range of innovative products and equipment for cast houses around the globe.
Drache's product range includes:
- The genuine Cerapor Al3O3 ceramic foam filters
- Cerapor Al2O3 HF filter, allowing higher flow rates than standard filters
- Precast refractory shapes, like filter box liners, launder segments, degassing liner, crucibles etc., from the genuine Drache Fused Silica
- Spouts and control pins for rolling slab casting, made from the genuine Fused Silica Fine
- DBN – Drache Boron Nitride coating
- Fully engineered filter boxes including highly efficient preheating systems for DC casting and continues casting
- Fully engineered launder systems, including launder lids and launder preheating
- Ceramold Clean, a refractory mastic free from RCF
All Drache products are "Made in Germany".
The production capacities at Drache's sites in Diez, Germany, have increased continuously since the company was founded. As a global company with subsidiaries in North Carolina, USA and Sharjah, UAE, Drache satisfies customers in more than 50 countries world-wide.
Drache's focus is providing reliable, sustainable solutions in line with the customers' requirements as well as long-term partnerships in order to meet all criteria needed for quality that is made by Drache.
For more information please visit the Drache GmbH Website
CETAG – Casthouse Engineering and Technology AG, Switzerland
CETAG - Casthouse Engineering and Technology AG of Switzerland is a well established supplier of casthouse process know-how and equipment servicing the worldwide aluminum industry. Our employees gained their in-depth knowledge over decades of being members of the aluminum industry community and offering their services to global customers to improve their processes and equipment. Our focus is not only on a single activity or piece of equipment but on the evaluation and improvement of complex cast house operations.
Casthouse Engineering and Consulting
CETAG provides studies, equipment evaluation reports and services to optimize existing production processes or plants. Examples of our services include preparing a feasibility study for a new casthouse or identifying measures for optimizing operations (e.g. to increase energy efficiency of a melting furnace, dross handling and processing, ...).
CETAG supplies various types of melting, holding furnaces and associated equipment. These furnaces are optimized for operator friendly operation, ease of maintenance, low metal losses and to minimize energy consumption.
CETAG is a supplier of the well-established dross cooling technology. This allows for cooling of dross to temperatures around 100ºC within 15 minutes. This quick and gentle process assures that a large portion of the "free" aluminum contained within the dross will be saved from oxidation and available for further recovery. Simultaneously the dross is reduced to a granulate and can be classified into aluminum granulate and fines, allowing for easy handling during further processing.
CETAG offers more than dross cooling technology. Part of our evaluation process involves examining existing equipment and preparing recommendations on how production processes and equipment can be improved to minimize metal loss and the amount of dross created during the melting process.
For more information please visit the CETAG AG Website
Pyrotek Scandinavia AB, Sweden
Integrated systems and consumables, from the smelter to the foundry.
Pyrotek is a global engineering leader and innovator of performance-improving technical solutions, integrated systems design, and consulting services for customers in the aluminium industry. Pyrotek supports the highest quality aluminium production while reducing overall operating costs and maximizing aluminium producers' profitability.
What Pyrotek offers:
- Capital Equipment
- Engineered Systems
- Engineering and Consulting Services
- Metallurgical Services
- Research and Development
- Technical Support
For the Smelter
Pyrotek products can improve plant performance throughout the anode bake furnace to help operators successfully support pot room demand, produce high-quality anodes, minimize fuel consumption, maximize refractory life and maintain a safe work environment.
For the Casthouse
For cleaner metal and more efficient processing, Pyrotek's manufactures engineered systems, equipment, and consumables, from scrap charging to the melting furnace to the casting station. Pyrotek's global network of application engineers and manufacturing plants work with customers to determine the equipment and products that best suit their needs, many of which can be custom designed.
Pyrotek Celebrates 60+ Years of Innovation
When Pyrotek® was founded in 1956 in Spokane, Washington, USA, it manufactured one product: high quality, low cost sewn fibreglass bags for molten aluminium filtration. At the time, the aluminium industry within the USA's Pacific Northwest was robust, with Kaiser Aluminum Corp., Alcoa Inc. and Reynolds Metals Co. plants taking advantage of the region's inexpensive hydroelectric power. Pyrotek soon found it had a niche, expanding its product offerings and strategically opening branches near aluminium plants around the USA.
By the end of the 1960s, Pyrotek had crossed the ocean, entering Australian, Scandinavian, African and other international markets. Today, the company operates more than 80 sales offices, research centres, and manufacturing plants in 35 countries.
For more information please visit the Pyrotek Website
Hycast AS, Norway
"Game changer within casthouse solutions"
Hycast products are technology and processes for melt treatment and casting of aluminium alloys.
Hycast differentiate themselves from competitors by offering not only separate products, but the whole integrated casting line.
Hycast is a wholly-owned subsidiary by Hydro Aluminium AS, and was started as a spin-off from Hydro's research center at Sunndalsøra. Hycast develop, produce and market casthouse technology for the aluminium industry.
For more information please visit the Hycast AS Website
Otto Junker GmbH, Germany
Established in 1924, OTTO JUNKER GmbH draws on more than 90 years of experience and continuous product development. The company is represented by subsidiaries, service agencies and sales offices all over the world.
The product range embraces:
- Gas-fired melting and casting furnaces for aluminium casthouses, especially for recycling of (contaminated) aluminium scrap, under the Thermcon brand.
- Induction melting and pouring furnaces for different types of metals.
- Heating and heat treatment equipment (batch / continuous) for the aluminium and copper industries, especially rolling mills, extrusion plants, casting and forging plants.
In addition we operate our foundry in Lammersdorf producing high-grade sand castings from iron, nickel and cobalt-based materials, both as cast and fully finished. In the attached machining section, precision parts are made for demanding applications.
Since 1982, the company has been owned by the OTTO JUNKER FOUNDATION. Consistent with the Foundation‘s charter, it promotes the training of young engineers at the RWTH Aachen University and sponsors research and development in the fields of metallurgy and electrical engineering.
For more information please visit the Otto Junker Website
Precimeter AB, Sweden
The Precimeter Group is continuously growing, developing new solutions and serving customers in the molten metal industry. With more than 25 years of experience within the industry and the highest level of knowledge about molten metal level control - Precimeter is the brand that can be trusted to deliver the solutions you need.
Precimeter specializes in automated level control solutions for molten metal casting processes. All our products are specially designed for the harsh conditions in a cast house environment. We offer our expertise to assist you with system design as well as commissioning.
The Precimeter Group includes offices and production in Sweden (HQ), Germany and USA and a local sales office in China. With representation in more than 35 countries as well, the Precimeter Group offers excellent service and support to its customers worldwide.
For more information please visit the Precimeter Website
RIA Cast House Engineering GmbH
Innovations in Charging & Skimming
Efficient furnace practices with low cost production standards, start with automated charging and skimming. Using the right technology allows for significant reduction of energy consumption, minimum cycle times, lower furnace maintenance cost as well as a safer environment for the operators. RIA Cast House Engineering has been focusing on the development and manufacturing of charging and skimming equipment since 1997. RIA is now focused on the development of innovative automation and process optimization solutions. Continuing in our development of the safest and most efficient systems possible. The newest RIA charging and skimming systems utilize full artificial intelligence (AI) to make charging and skimming cutting edge technology. The next innovation in the skimming area is the process of In-Furnace Dross Processing (IFDP). The RIA systems achieve the lowest possible operational cost and the safest operating environment for this important part of the process.
Established as a local maintenance service and special equipment supplier for the German Aluminum industry, over more than twenty years RIA became an important International partner for Aluminum billet cast houses. Now with nearly 50 charging and skimming machines supplied to major aluminum companies around the globe. Building on high quality standards and continuously improving those has helped to design the most reliable, robust, maintenance friendly and custom-made furnace tending equipment on the market.
For more information please visit the RIA Cast House Engineering Website
MAST Europe Ltd, Estonia
MAST has been supplying specialty Aluminium master alloys to the industry leaders since 1988. This year, MAST Europe is celebrating a 10-year anniversary at its Estonian production facility spanning 75,000 m2 with the current annual production capacity of 18 000 mt and operates with the state-of-the-art in-house modified equipment & unique technologies.
MAST is well known for the quality of its master alloys and competitive cost structure, which ensures the low cost of final alloys. Our unique metallurgical expertise provides improved performance master alloys with:
- Fast dissolution speed and high recovery rate of alloying elements reaching 99.8% level. High recovery rate is achieved due to the spherical shape and minimal size of intermetallics.
- Increased alloying element concentration while preserving fast dissolution speed and high recovery rates.
MAST Europe produces a wide variety of master alloys and is currently in the process of qualifications with the following higher concentration alloys:
- AlMn60FD (fast dissolution)
We also specialize in:
- Production of Ferro-titanium ( FeTi70 )
- R&D in technologies and production equipment
- Consulting and expertise services
AMG Aluminum Ltd, UK
AMG Aluminum is a customer-focused, technology-driven organization dedicated to innovation, quality, technical expertise, and rapid response to customer needs.
For over 80 years, AMG Aluminum has earned a trusted reputation for reliable supply of consistently manufactured, dependable aluminum grain refiners anywhere in the world.
The development and evolution of grain refining products and technologies for casthouse applications have been focal to AMG Aluminum for many decades. The latest development of TiBAl Advance Green™ grain refiner:
- Improves feeding characteristics and increases casting speed in direct chill (DC) casting
- Provides uniform distribution of elements and improves homogeneity
- Reduces porosity and eliminates hot tearing
- Enhances the response to subsequent heat treatment
- Has superior mechanical properties and increased machinability
- Is produced using Low Carbon Aluminium to ensure overall CO2 output reduction
- Is used at reduced addition rates whilst improving efficiency
- Presents a commercial benefit by the reduction of overall grain refiner usage
AMG Aluminum offers a wide range of products also including master alloys, compacted additives (ALTAB™), chemicals and fluxes and rod feeders.For more information, please visit the AMG Website
MQP Ltd, UK
MQP, formed in 2000, is based in the UK and operates on a global basis through a network of consultants and distributors.
The company's thinking from the beginning has been to develop and introduce innovative technology for casthouses with the overall aim of improving quality and reducing operating costs. Close partnerships with suppliers and key customers have been fundamental to the success of this objective. In 2016, MQP entered into a key partnership with grain refiner and master alloy producer STNM, the latter taking a 70% shareholding in the company. This provides MQP with access to STNM’s state- of- the art manufacturing facility in Boading, China, which now has the capacity to produce over 39,000 tonnes of grain refiners, including up to 16,000 tonnes of Optifine, annually, on a new dedicated casting line which started operating in 2021. To support this, STNM is jointly funding a major R&D programme with BCAST Brunel University London to investigate the fundamental mechanism of nucleation with the objective of optimising the production of high efficiency grain refiners.
Today, MQP is entirely focused on the field of grain refinement of aluminium and its alloys.
- MQP Optifine is an exceptionally powerful grain refiner bringing consistent performance, improved quality, and economic benefits, to a growing number of aluminium casthouses worldwide. Optifine achieves the level of refinement needed to avoid ingot cracking at up to 80% lower addition rates than standard, commercial TiBAl grain refiners. This results in improved quality and reduced operating costs over a wide range of aluminium alloy compositions. It also means that the risk of unwanted TiB2 and oxide inclusions in the finished products is very much minimised.
- New for 2021 is the introduction of new super high efficiency grain refiner, Optifine 5:1 125, which gives up to 40% higher efficiency than current high efficiency grain refiners, providing even greater cost savings and, critically, much lower particle counts in the liquid metal leading to improved quality in finished product.
- The Opticast system is a unique technology and methodology for the in-line control and optimisation of grain refinement.
- Optifine & Opticast, working together, are reducing costs and advancing metal quality in casthouses around the world and are regarded as a huge asset.
Other well established products being supplied to casthouses by MQP for several years are now available from an associated company, Aluminium Casthouse Technology(ACT). These products include:
- Refinal – an established range of, environmentally friendly, fused fluxes based on MgCl2 for the efficient and economical removal of alkali metals and oxides from molten aluminium.
- Batchpilot - industry proven, innovative, automated, furnace weighing system for the casthouse. It brings an overall increase in casthouse productivity by increasing the percentage of "right first time" batching and eliminating short casts
- Casiflux – an environmentally friendly and completely safe alternative to bone ash for coating launders
For more information please visit the MQP Ltd Website